Thursday 31 January 2013

MAC 217 dupe?

Ahh I love a good makeup brush. It has been said by the professionals that you can do more with good brushes and bad makeup than you can with bad brushes and high quality makeup. Believe it or not, my fascination (read obsession) with brushes began after I started to watch Pixiwoo YouTube tutorials about 2 years ago.
I used to apply foundation with my fingers and just use sponge applicators for eyeshadow. I was uneducated okay?! *hangs head in shame* However after discovering YouTube tutorials I started to collect brushes and now have a fair few. I do believe that the number one most used brush is the MAC 217, it's rare to see an online tutorial without one of these babies making an appearance. I've only recently picked my first one up (at £17. Gulp!).
It's easy to see why the 217 is one of the most popular eyeshadow blending brushes, it works like a dream. Blending is the one thing that I, and a lot of other people, struggle with the most so anything that helps is a godsend. Before I picked this up I had been using what I now consider to be a dupe, from No.7 at Boots-the eyeshadow blend and contour brush.
As you will see from the picture, these two brushes are almost identical save for the length of the handle. The hairs themselves look the same, but when using I found that the MAC 217 gives slightly more control and the No.7 brush tends to be a bit fluffier and sometimes colours can end a little higher than you would like. However, the No.7 brush is £7.50 so at less than half the price if you want to try the 217 but don't wanna spend the pennies, this is a good alternative. Also, when Boots give out the £5 off no.7 vouchers the brushes are included. Bargain. Have you tried either of these? Which do you prefer?
Thanks for reading, Love Steph xxx

2 comments:

  1. A great dupe Steph i love both MAC and No7 Brushes xx

    http://thequirkyfox.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete